Friday, October 15, 2010

Movie Review: Nowhere Boy (2010)

I didn't choose todays movie. I woke up early and ran to the local theater to get the early 5$ matinée. I'd overslept so I didn't have time to see what was playing so I asked the movie attendant to suggest one. I don't know why I trusted his opinion his opinion. He sat in his booth obviously high, I don't know if there was a dress code for the theater but he was wearing a tie dye shirt. He suggested I see "Nowhere Boy". I'd forgotten my glasses at home so I couldn't read what else was playing so I took his word.

Never let some burnt out hippie choose what movie you watch. This was some coming of age movie set in the 50's. The central character was a guy named john Lennon. Not really much to this character, just runs around and yells and punches people.

The movie starts with his uncle dying, and he spots some red haired girl at the funeral. The go on what looks like a date and you imagine this is his girlfriend but you find out soon it's his mom... what the heck???? at this point I popped out of the movie to grab a drink as i was feeling noxious.

So I come back and the movie is still playing, much to my dismay. It turns out he wants to play rock and roll so he grabs an acoustic guitar. what the heck? since when did acoustic guitars mean rock n roll? i google searched pantera and noticed they all had electric. did the writers do any fact checking? i'm guessing no.

which one looks like rock and roll? acoustic or electric? just one of the many problems with "Nowhere boy"

then at one point they're playing a "gig" with all acoustic instruments outside and there's this big crowd and even the people in the back are dancing. once again, no fact checking, without amplification there would have been no way for those in the back to hear them. terrible.

so his band the quarrymen gets some more members, john gets in trouble, and keeps moving in with his mom back to his aunt and repeat. finally there's this big showdown and his mom and aunt duke it out (finally some action) but its soon over and it just makes them friends.

at this point i just decided to cut my losses and leave the theater. i didn't find the lead character to be very interesting and as it was alluded in the beginning, and even the title, of the movie he seems to just keep going nowhere. wow a coming of age movie about a guy who never does anything. i'm guessing the script was mostly blank paper and they ad libbed based on whatever the directer felt like having them do.

because it's characters didn't feel real or even interesting, and because the movie tricks the audience into thinking the lead character was on a date only to reveal it was actually just him hanging out with his mom i must give this movie my lowest rating ever, ** two stars.

just a quick after thought: after being tricked into seeing that stinker i called the theater and made up some complaints about that hippy who suggested it to me and hopefully they fired him

never trust the opinion of anyone that looks even remotely like this

No comments:

Post a Comment